Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Run!

1 Corinthians 6:12-20
"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body." 1 Corinthians 6:18

Paul deals with a cultural and religious issue that was the hot topic of the day in Corinth. Is having sex with temple prostitutes wrong? Is sex with whomever I choose wrong? Can anyone tell me what I should do with my body? Shouldn't I be able to love whom I want? Isn't sex simply an expression of love? Paul doesn't entertain these questions. Mostly because they are asinine at the core.

Paul really has some simple advice. Stop talking and start running!

We can talk ourselves into anything. When we are done talking ourselves we will tune into hear other people talk for us. To hear someone else say the same things that I wanted to say helps concrete my assumption that I must be right. So Matt Lauer, Oprah, Tia Fey, or Will Farrell have authority over my moral choices. Not because what they say is right. Rather, what they say is what I want to hear. So the talking continues. I feel better about what I am doing. Yet...what I am doing still doesn't seem right. More Talking. More doing. Yet, I still feel guilt. The answer is not 1,200 hours of a therapist trying to get you to stop thinking about your guilt.
Paul has therapeutic advise for you, stop your crying (you mamby-pamby) and turn from the destructive behavior! Turn off the idiotic television and take control of your life. You are responsible for you! Like it or not. 

And I know you don't like it, get over it, there is no amount of enabling that comes from the media that will remove your sin. Just stop!

The only way to stop is to run in the other direction.

Away from doing whatever you want.

Run away from excusing your indulgence.

Run away from trying to excuse your moral failure (we all have them).

Own up to who you are and strive to do the right thing.

God made you. He loves you. He has sent his spirit to guide you. But for the sake of the one that died to free you.

Stop crying!

Start running!

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Marks of a Holy Church

Holiness is a strange word for us today. We get visions of being “holier than thou” or risk presenting ourselves as “per...