Monday, March 18, 2013

A Deep Spring

I come from a tradition that proudly bears the name of one of the two orthodox Christian sacraments. As a "Baptist" I lived and worked in a church environment that was oddly silent about baptism. Now don't get me wrong, the tradition had plenty to say about what baptism was not. But when it came to truly understanding or celebrating baptism for all that it was Baptists were very shallow.

One point that was never neglected was that baptism itself did not save you. However, the point was never made that baptism indeed saves you. What I mean is this. There are two types of baptism pictured in the Scriptures. One, is the baptism of water. This is the public profession of accepting the teachings of Jesus and committing to follow him. John baptized this way and this is an important marker for one who is entering into the fellowship of Christ followers. The second is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This "marking" or "sealing" of the Spirit of Christ (Romans 6:3-4; Ephesians 1:13) is the work of salvation in us. This "second" baptism is the picture to which the "first" baptism is pointing and picturing.

The problem is that when we make so much fuss about what baptism is not that we water down the meaning of the positive aspects of baptism. What are these positive aspects of baptism? I am glad you asked. I will mention two.

One, we are immersed into one body of baptized believers. This rite has been practiced always, everywhere, and by all. This rite connects all followers of Jesus into "one holy, catholic, and apostolic church". Because of this rite I can call a man in Rwanda, Rio Di Janeiro, or Rome my brother. This also connects me with those that have been baptized throughout all time. I am brothers with followers of Christ from the first apostles until now. This is possible only because of both senses of Scriptural baptism. I am not brothers with all that have been dipped into water but those that have been anointed by the Holy Spirit and covered with water to picture this reality. I am spiritually and physically connected.

Two, baptism is a reorienting of ourselves to the world around us. As those that are united into the Kingdom of God we live counter to the will and desire of the world. This "immersion" into the Kingdom should change how we approach our lifestyle. I do not buy a house simply because I want a bigger and roomier residence. I do not take a job simply because it gives me more money and benefits. I do not make sure that my kids have the same path of materialism that is all around them. Every decision I make is immersed in Kingdom thinking. In this way I am re-baptized every day. Each of these struggles calls me deeper into a life spent following Christ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Marks of a Holy Church

Holiness is a strange word for us today. We get visions of being “holier than thou” or risk presenting ourselves as “per...